I’m super excited to share my latest blog post with you. It’s been published on Loveandvice.com and is on Imposter Syndrome…Please do comment below if you’d like to add anything to the discussion.
Can anyone teach?
Many people used to believe that home education wasn’t even possible without a teaching qualification. Now that we’ve all had a taste of home education during Lockdown 2020, maybe even you will agree that you don’t need to be a professional teacher to teach!
The conditions during Covid 19 were highly unusual. If you are among the group of parents now considering giving up multiple school runs, the mundane task of packing lunches every morning, and the uncertainty of deciding whether your child is fit for school that day or not, then be aware that your job is going to get easier! With plenty more resources online and in real life, the situation is never going to be as intense as Covid 19 Lockdown 2020.
So, what does Teacher Training teach you?
- Large Groups & Discipline: Teacher training teaches you how to handle a large group of approx. 30 children.
- Large Groups & Learning: It teaches you how to facilitate personal learning in large groups.
- OK To Cry: It teaches you that it is normal to cry after a class because the children (or other teachers!) have been mean to you. Many other teachers have testified to this, after completing their teacher training in schools.
- Write a Useless Lesson Plan: It teaches you how to write a totally useless lesson plan. This is because they teach you using the format your university requires which is nothing like the format your new school will require.
- Mark Assessments? It’s supposed to teach you how to set and mark level assessments. Even though this practice still boggled my mind when I had to do it for real in an actual school.
- Wait To Go To the Loo: It definitely teaches you how to go all day without time for a cup of tea or a loo break. You train yourself to do these incredibly unhealthy things so you can keep up with all the other teacher duties you have to keep up with. For example, teach a class at one end of the school, attend your playground duty at the other end of the school and then teach a class straight after break back at the original end of the school, all without being late, and preferably turning up before the students do. This is why I appreciated kind teachers so much. Kind teachers would make sure you got a loo break and would even make you a cup of tea if you were on playground duty. But yes, as you can tell, this skill isn’t required when home educating your own children!
Anything you need to learn as a teacher at school, you’d also need to learn as a teacher at home. Take maths for example, the concepts are the same as what we’ve been taught but the method is likely to be different. I’d advise buying an online pack to deal with maths at home or to invest in a maths tutor if you’re not confident teaching your child yourself. This is the same for any subject you’re not comfortable with.
Surprisingly, teachers do pick up subjects that they’re not entirely comfortable teaching your child at school!
Choosing to outsource teaching when you’re not happy with the standard you are delivering is a luxury schools can’t afford!
My point is, that even qualified teachers are expected to teach subjects they have no knowledge of. When I did my PGCE, you had to have a degree in your main subject and at least an A Level in any other subject you wanted to be qualified to teach in. Then as soon as you’re qualified, the school has free reign to ask you to do anything. You are asked to teach things you didn’t even get a GCSE in!
- Subject Knowledge: You only learn about your subject specialism in depth. This is rarely the only subject you will end up teaching on a daily basis!
As you must be aware, many schools employ teachers who are currently in a graduate training program or still students on a teaching course, these people are no more qualified than you! As class sizes increase, indeed the need to split classes up to keep numbers low also increases. More and more teaching assistants are asked to teach whole classes.
If teachers in schools are learning as they go along and getting through half the time, what makes parents, who have just their own children to focus on, any less qualified? I have far more time as a home educating parent to research topics than I ever did as a full time teacher.
Now all myths have been dispelled and you know, you can teach. What should a home educating parent focus on?
Get some help!: Choose something which agrees with your budget and rest assured that the qualifications and education your child receives will be recognised worldwide. Here are two courses that I’ve purchased recently. These include affiliate links that if you purchase, will provide me with a little bonus for sharing. As always, I never share products or experiences with you that I do not fully advocate and use myself. So I hope you’ll click the links and learn more about what these education systems have to offer for yourself.
- Get Some Fresh Air: The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to make sure you and your children get outdoors every day! It is super important to leave the house regularly to look after your body and mind. To get a regular weekly dose of the best of what the outdoor world can offer, join a local forest school group. I have always been a huge advocate of outdoor learning. Now I’m a Forest School Practitioner trainee and now know, more than ever, that so much of your success as an educator lies in exploring the great outdoors throughout the whole year. In this way you can experience the wonders of the four seasons with your children and marvel at how much you will learn to grow your child’s knowledge on a holistic level. Forest School incorporates learning about the Earth, and at the same time teaches literacy, maths, science and a whole lot more! Not only that, Forest School acknowledges that children learn in different ways. Whatever the strengths of your child, know that they will be nurtured in an outdoor learning environment.
- Meet new people: Make a huge effort to meet up with like-minded people at organised homeschooling events. Even though there are currently restrictions on numbers, make it your job to find out about the safe and affordable activities there are in your area. Challenge yourself to use public transport or drive further than you usually do to make the most of the facilities and organisations open to you. Holidays are usually easier to plan for homeschoolers, as you can now travel during off-peak times. Make the most of reduced fees and entry fees all the way through the year!
- Join an online community: The hardest thing is to homeschool on your own. You will always be second-guessing the decisions you make. When you decide to keep your children at home, the responsibility to educate them in a responsible and fair way is huge. Join forums, buy a course or two. There are mind-blowing options available online at the moment.
As home educators you are in fact facilitators. All you will need to teach your own children is a bucket load of enthusiasm and the ability to research anything you don’t know how to teach. This is why systems such as LoveLearningOnline are so valuable. Not only do you have everything you need to teach at your fingertips, you have a whole community who is travelling the same journey as you, ready to answer any questions you have got.
There are, of course, many FaceBook groups you can join. Just search ‘your own town, city and home education’ into the search bar and you should have a fantastic choice. Many of these groups are super informative and it’s usual for a new home educating parent to ask for advice or company on trips etc from like-minded parents.
Still not convinced? Meditate on it, consult your Higher Power. Take your time to make the decision. Ultimately, don’t worry about what others are doing. Do what’s right for your family.
If, like many of us, you like the idea of homeschooling but your work schedule or personal circumstances won’t allow it, choose to supplement your child’s education at school. Supplement it with clubs, groups and systems to enhance their learning and be confident in the fact that you are doing the best for your child as well as circumstances have allowed.
The Upshot: These last few months have helped us to see homeschooling in a new light. Many parents have to admit that it’s not nearly as impossible as they might have first thought. Though, never as intense as Lockdown, families may choose to opt into homeschooling for the foreseeable future.
As a teacher, I’m the first one to admit that you don’t need to be a teacher to educate your children in the best way. In fact there are many things teacher training teaches us that won’t really help us teachers educate our children any better than the average parent!
Don’t forget to get yourself and your children learning in the great outdoors, find like-minded people and above all, enjoy the journey.
If you find it’s not a good fit for you and your family, don’t fret, do your best and supplant your child’s school education as best you can on the evenings and weekends.
How has your homeschooling journey been during Lockdown 2020? Let me know what has worked for you? What are you happy to see the back of?
As always, I love hearing from you guys!
I hope you go forward always making the right decisions for your family, no matter what.
Let’s strive to be a community who is always there for each other.
That’s all from me for now.
Peace and Love,
Things are not always straight forward in life. My new career choice is one of them. Freelancing has highs and lows. This week I may have lost some regular work from a trusted client. It’s got me hustling and pitching like crazy again. But on the bright side, last night I received an email to say that this article has made the front page of Contena!
Contena is a freelancing website that I joined a few months ago. It is has fantastic reviews and is regarded quite highly in the freelancing community.
I began journaling this year and it’s really helped me get through Lockdown 2020.
Here is the link to my article.
The funny thing is, my blog post has reminded me that everything will work out OK.
Journaling has been a very powerful tool for me. Tell me, what’s helped you get through? Do comment below. I love hearing from you guys!
Peace and love,
When building a website for a client, it is super important to optimise key words and to create tantalising copy that converts and engages audiences. However, one thing that never fails to surprise a client is that the number of likes is non-consequential.
Why is this the case?
- Likes don’t necessarily equal conversions or sales! Around 10% of people who like something will follow it up. The best thing you can do is to have a presence. Be there. Tell people what you do, so that if they ever need your help they know where to find you.
- Focus on quality. If you change your mindset and focus on the quality of the content that you put out there, maybe you’ll realise that helping one person or influencing one person to change their perspective is enough to keep you going!
- Do it for your passion. A business isn’t built on likes, but rather it’s built on sharing something that you love. Many times people have told me that their passion hasn’t made them enough money to give up their day job! I say, does it really matter? Are monetary gains your only motivation? If you stop doing something because you’re not making money form it (at first), I would question whether you chose the right subject or area of interest in the first place.
- You are worthy regardless of likes. Seeking validation from others through likes and comparing yourself to other brands and companies can be a slippery slope. Think about why you are doing this and how it makes you feel. When the number of likes decline, remind yourself that you are unique and amazing. Lack of positive interaction on social media shouldn’t have the power to change that. Mental health is important. Healthy interactions form a huge part of self-worth. Repeat after me I Am Worthy! If this doesn’t work, maybe a digital detox is the key to bring this message home.
- Keep going! One great piece of advice I received was to continue no matter what. Stats will naturally go up and down. Constantly checking them won’t do a thing to change them. They are what they are. Yes, it’s great to know people are reacting to your message and interacting with you but if one day, they decide to stop, how will that affect you? If you wake up tomorrow and the internet is gone, please tell me that you’d find another way- that you’d carry on regardless. Because the value you give to your followers translates into the real world. Don’t ever forget that!
What’s the solution?
The key to social media conversions today is to prompt meaningful conversations. People can see right through superficial marketing strategies. The real way to make a difference is to genuinely care about your client. Be yourself. Show you care. And keep going. Right that’s it from me.
Freelance writer, author and teacher
P.S Are you fed up of churning out valuable info day after day that doesn’t convert to sales?
Writing new content and thinking up new strategies is time consuming. It’s frustrating to see all your hard work go by the wayside.
Need engaging copy that converts?
Contact me for a no-risk consultation today!
Let’s say you can see yourself a year from now. First of all, quarantine is over! Woohoo 🥳.
Next, notice how different you’re feeling.
What has changed?
You’re smashing your goals. And the world is bright. You are glowing. The kind of glow that comes when you are living a life of no-limits.
A combination of passion, rest and spending time with people you love defines your days. You are you. But you seem so different.
Not only have you taken your online business to the next level but you feel grounded too.
You‘re not working how you’re “supposed” to anymore. You’ve found your passion, and doing what you love to do. You’ve invested in, and created the business and life you’ve always dreamed of.
That Sunday night feeling has completely disappeared. Now you jump out of bed on Monday morning ready to start your day. You serve your community and change lives in the process.
Help me to help you!
Connect with me today. Let’s do this!
Time to get your website sorted?
Want to get your book finished?
Let me help you to reach potential clients!
Sometimes, the world knocks you back!
If the words, no, fail and end are familiar on your journey then you’ll love this poster!
workfromhome #livethelifeyoulove #livethedream
Let’s turn the narrative around. Failure is a huge part of success. How will we succeed if we don’t know what not to do?!
I’m here to help!
manuscriptfeedback #hireme #freelance #writing #editing #proofreading #helpwithwriting #writethatbook #nevergiveup #nextopportunity #failureispartofsuccess
Sometimes it’s easy to see what’s missing, what others have, what you need to live a dream life.
Realisation that this life isn’t meant to be perfect helps so much!
Stop and smell the roses, splash in a paddling pool and give your time to those you love.
Be grateful for every breath you take, every move you make. Be grateful that you haven’t broken a bone today, that you can think, walk and talk.
Be grateful for your state, here and now and Allah will put barakah in everything you do inshaAllah! Being content and patient doesn’t mean things won’t get better! Trust that Allah is looking after you. From the first moment in your mother’s womb, to your dying day. Allah has your back!
freelancewriterforhire #virtualassistantservices #editing #copyediting #lineediting #ghostwriting #blogging #contentwriter #writenewsletters #emails #landingpages #ebooks
digitalart in this pic by @fatima_artwork88 Get yours today at fatimah_artwork on Fiverr.
gratitude #love #taketime #happiness #everybreath #everymoment #bethere #care #familytime #qualitytime #dontcompareyourselftoothers
barakah #allah #muslims #muslimblogger #muslimstagram
Gone are the days of investment without knowledge. We live in an era of reviews, loyalty and brand information.
If you have a product or service of value to offer the community- now is the best time to invest in online services to get your message out there so the right people can see it.
Recent research shows that people will trust and invest in a company due to their presence on the web.
See this bar chart below to see what influences buyers.
Whether you are marketing to other like-minded individuals, businesses or large organisations, I’m your writer!
With over 3 years professional writing experience, I can convert interested readers into buyers.
If you are ready to invest in your dream to change the world, I’m at your service.
I’ll create an online presence. You focus on your dream!
Hire me to lighten your load!
From copywriting in a regular newsletter to blog writing and content on your social media pages, I can help with it all!
Liberate yourself from the demands of keeping up an online presence and focus on the best part of your job- working on your passion to achieve your dreams!
Check out my services page for more info!
copywriting #freelancewriterforhire #freelanceforhire #writing #blogposts #blogging #content #copywriting #smallbusiness #smallbusinessowner #smallbusinesssupport #entrepreneur #entrepreneurlife #b2b #marketing #marketingstrategy #seowritingservices #seowriting #writing #solopreneur
Love this so much!! Rather than buying the children material things, buy them experiences.
Keep family relations and friendships going so that your children can blossom amidst the love and laughter!
Unusual experiences and strong relationships will increase your child’s knowledge in ways that you could never have imagined.
Hopefully when they’re older, they’ll appreciate the effort you’ve made to make some great memories.
It is these memories that will help them to navigate life later on when things get tough. If you give them good memories they will remember that they once had a good life, it will act as a coping mechanism. You are literally paving a path that will help them to get through the rest of their lives…
Peace and Love,
Do you crave peace in your life?
Want to sit back and relax with your cuppa knowing the schooling needs of your children are always met?
Guess what? Help is on its way!
SPECIAL OFFER FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!:
Sign up here to get a FREE quick guide to homeschooling your preschooler.
Perfect for busy parents who don’t have time to waste!
Your child will lead their own learning with this creative curriculum which spans a whole academic year!
VISIT www.LoveLearningOnline.co.uk TODAY FOR OODLES OF IDEAS, GUIDES & TEMPLATES 😁💫😁💫😁💫